Elva

Elva

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Round Two - Pau

Off tomorrow for Round Two, around the streets of Pau. I have typically tortuous logistics to minimise the time I am out of the office, flying into Bordeaux then hiring a car, should get there about midnight; then I need to check out of the hotel about 0330 Monday morning to drive to Toulouse for the flight home, hopefully arriving in time to meet my new boss...!

The street circuit in Pau has been used since the 1930's. Nowadays it is used for two consecutive weekends, one for Historic cars and one for modern championships. See the website at http://www.grandprixdepauhistorique.com/for more information.

I have never been to this meeting, but have always wanted to go, although ideally I wouldn't make my debut here as a Championship round ... I have only ever raced on one street circuit, in Porto 2 years ago. The Armco barriers seem very close, there are manhole covers and kerbs worth avoiding, odd track cambers, it's narrow ... I've found some in-car footage on YouTube and it looks a bit "unforgiving"!

The car is in Iain's truck with 4 others, crossing The English Channel as we speak, they drive down tomorrow. Friday is scrutineering, paperwork etc., and a chance for me to take a look at the circuit, although it's still public road at that point - two years ago Iain and I did a lap of the Porto circuit on bicycles whilst it was still road, to follow the racing-line as much as possible that meant going the wrong way round roundabouts, and up a dual-carriage way on the wrong side against the traffic!

There are 33 FJs entered, from more than 10 countries, 5 in my class this weekend.

The car has been fettled again after Hockenheim, especially some work on the brakes. Fingers crossed for a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment