Elva

Elva

Friday 10 May 2013

New-fangled contraptions..

Why are modern cars so complicated...? Those nice people at Avis decided to give me a free upgrade, so I have a Mercedes something-class 220, with under 400kms on the clock. Very nice ... but modern cars baffle me ... Once I'd found out how to start it, it then took me a minute or so to find what they'd done with the Automatic gearbox controls, several more to work out the satnav to Pau etc., so by the time I actually pulled out of the carpark in Bordeaux it was nearly 10pm. A very good clear run, punctuated by more bemusement courtesy of the Merc - auto wipers I'd anticipated, auto-dipping headlights was a new one on me 'how?', but the biggest annoyance was trying to work out the cruise-control, for ages all I could get it to do was set speed limit, initially 110kmh, but every time I fiddled with it it dropped another 10kmh ... I kid you not, by the time I worked out how to switch it off I was down to 50kmh! All these gadgets and yet it 'couldn't read' my iPhone for music ... Bah, humbug!

I got to Pau about 2330, so the satnav had done a good job, but then it tried to direct me straight through the pedestrianised square ... Err, no ... Sorry the last 250metres took me about 15 minutes, several three point turns and culminated in 'having' to drive the wrong way down a one-way street. Sorry Pau.

No comments:

Post a Comment