Elva

Elva

Friday 9 August 2013

Nurburgring - Qualifying


As you know, since the last round at Dijon my car had been completely restored, back to bare chassis, the engine has been refreshed, which will have given me back a couple of horsepower, I have new tyres on it, the chassis is stiffer after the cracks were repaired. The car is going very well, and my driving confidence is improving. To top it all off I am 5kgs lighter myself. So I am confidently expecting to go quicker than ever ... 

Yesterday my best in free practice was a 2:15.6 - 3 secs quicker than I ran last time I was here with the FJ. I had a look at the times that John Delane ran here last year and see he ran a 2:13.4, so I am getting closer...

In Quali very early this morning, i am delighted to run a 2:13.5, 2 secs quicker than yesterday. I don't think that I left much time out there .... Only 0.1 slower than John Delane's best here last year ... I am 0.3 behind Kim, and alongside him on the grid. Car going very well. Session got red-flagged with 7 minutes to go, but I didn't bother going out again, 7 minutes might have given me two more times laps, but I didn't really think I'd go any quicker than that.

But John has knocked a massive 4 secs off last year's best - there's not much more I can do! I am not allowed to fit a Ford engine in my BMC-powered car, so to be close to Kim's Lotus-Ford is pleasing. I am trying hard to take the competition to John, but I can't live with that!

There are 7 cars in my class here this weekend, out of a total grid in excess of 40 cars, I am 20th overall on the Grid, 3rd in class, there is a 5 secs gap back to next class competitor.

Weekend is going very well so far ... And it makes me nervous putting that in writing ...

Going to prep the car now for Race 1, then do the pitwall for Mike in his Morgan for his qualifying. After that I have a hilly 5 mile run planned, hoping that'll get me the half second to get Kim tomorrow ... Do you think if I did a second lap I could get up to John Delane...?! No, I don't reckon so either!

No comments:

Post a Comment